I wanted to develop on from my coloured mono-prints, where I had printed the word big and in two colours. These didn’t have the power I wanted them to, so I decided that I would paint the words in contrasting colours, In a similar way to Mel Bochner – the way he uses paint with text, in a very universal font. Although I don’t see these going anywhere, I’m glad I did them because I have found this a great research mechanism, and I have thought of new ideas for neon signs from these and how I can improve them in terms of font.
All paintings are acrylic paint on A5 card:
With this experiment I painted text thickly onto the A5 card, I waited for this to dry and then painted black acrylic over it. This has given me an idea to use the Letterpress to emboss words, as this has a similar quality to letterpress. I like the text and background being the same colour and this is something I will develop on: